What is required to get married in Georgia?
Do you want to know all the marriage requirements in Georgia? Getting married in Georgia is pretty easy and accessible to all nationalities, no matter your origins and religion. Get to know all the basics!
How to get married in Georgia?
However, like in many countries, marriages are regulated by laws in Georgia. Before taking the step of getting married there you will have to consider the following requirements you will have to provide and comply with during the process of getting married:
- If you want to get married with your partner, both of you should be at least 18 years old.
- Fees associated with the licenses are different if you are single, married or divorced.
- Fees are also charged to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
- If one of the persons is divorced, then he or she has to show proper documents and divorce decree.
Legal marriage requirements in Georgia
You can legally get married at the Public Hall. Public Hall is open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm. Filing for marriage at the Public Hall is convenient as it usually takes up to 3 hours, but it’s important to apply before 1 pm. You will have to be at the Public Hall to sign your marriage certificate and then file a request to get an apostille translation. Finally documents will have to be legalized to the embassy or consulate. To make it easy, here a recap of the administrative documents you have to gather to get married in Georgia:
- Identity documents of persons intending to get married, translated to Georgian Language and Notarized
- If you have been married before, a valid apostilled, original copy or the divorce certificate
- Joint written application of persons intending to get married
- In case of a person’s second marriage, a document certifying the termination of previous marriage, legalized and apostilled
- 2 witnesses, if foreigners- their Identification Documents, with duly notarized Georgian translation
- Foreign citizens must submit a document evidencing the legal ground of his/her stay in Georgia
- If an application is submitted by a representative of a person intending to get married, documents certifying power of representation and identity of representative
And if you are looking for more than just paperwork Georgia is also the right place to organize a proper ceremony. Remarkable nature, delicious cuisine and hospitable people make the best combination possible. Here are out our Cute and Premium packages to start planning your wedding. And if they don’t fully cover your needs you can always go for a Custom one and let us create a unique wedding ceremony for you.
International legalization of the Georgian wedding certificate
The international legalization of your wedding certificate is one of the essential requirements for your marriage to be internationally recognized. When you get married in Georgia your marriage certification will be issued immediately but to be recognized in most countries, you will need an apostille. It usually takes between two to seven days to get it.
It is important to understand that international legalization will depend on each country as every country has its rules. That’s why we encourage you to inquire at the legal offices in your country if Georgian marriage certificates are accepted.
In most cases, Georgian marriage certificates with an apostille are internationally valid. Just remember that some countries might have special regulations on that.
Are you considering going to Georgia to get married? You can always talk to our team of experts to discuss about the requirements to tie the knot there.